Rust In Peace | Thrash Metal's Magnum Opus
Introduction
So here we are. One of the most beloved metal albums of all time, the timeless masterpiece of Thrash. I think it goes without saying that this review isn't gonna be much different compared to any other review of this album. There's simply not much to say that hasn't already been said about it. But there's a reason for that, so without further ado this is Rust In Peace.
Analysis
This album introduced a brand new lineup to Megadeth. On drums is Nick Menza, who brings a different kind of complexity to this album than either previous drummer. Where Gar was complex in a jazzy way and Chuck was a fairly straightforward Thrash drummer, Nick adds an almost proggy Neil Peart style to the album. The drumming here is simply on another level compared to the last two albums (Though KIMB still has my ultimate nostalgic bias). Following suit is Ellefson adding his trademark basslines, bringing back some of the grooviness of KIMB and PSBWB into the mix on some songs even.
Dave brings his riff game to a new level here, providing unorthodox arrangements and more technical skill than ever before. Aiding this is Marty Friedman, who finally allows Megadeth to have two guitarists of equal skill. Chris and Jeff were great in their own ways, but both had a tendency to be overshadowed by Mustaine. Not here. Here both Marty and Dave work seamlessly with each other to create some of the most memorable melodies and dual leads of any Thrash album. I'd argue the seeds of the Gothenburg dual guitar revival movement were planted here.
Dave's vocals also begin to take a leap here. He still occasionally has his cringe moments, but for the most part he begins to master his unique style. Specifically on the likes of "Hangar 18" and "Rust In Peace... Polaris" and ESPECIALLY "Tornado of Souls".
Track by Track
The album immediately takes off with "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due", the best song on the album. The opening of the song takes a technical Thrash approach, focusing on the riff and Dave's vocal patterns. Then the dynamic changes, the tempo shifts and Dave and Marty's leads take over the song as it shifts into a more groovy pace. Eventually the tempo picks up again and the song ends Thrashier than it began. The song is followed by "Hangar 18", aka the best song on the album. In contrast to Holy Wars' technical thrashy approach, this song opens with a more conventional Maiden-esque melodic style. It's catchy, accessible, and anthemic for the first half, before indulging in more technical instrumentation in the second half. The first third of the album ends with "Take No Prisoners". Calling back to the breakneck thrash of KIMB this song goes straight for the throat without much regard for unconventional technicality. Not that that's a bad thing, in fact, it's the best song on the album. It's a nice break from the prog-inspired metal of the songs surrounding it, a call-back to classic Megadeth while still applying the new lineup's superior skill to that style.
"Five Magics". Is awesome. Once again going for a complex, technical composition, the song perfectly encapsulates the dark-yet-fun attitude of Classic Thrash while also being proto-Control Denied in some ways. The opening is so atmospheric and dark, and then a Devil's Island-esque gallop takes over. It's so good, the best song on the album. Side B opens with "Poison Was The Cure". Once again, a mix of atmospheric complexity with breakneck thrash. The bridge is so amazing, fitting for the best song on the album with its incredible solo. Then there's "Lucretia". This song changes things up majorly with a really lame and dull appro- NAH! JK, it's the best song on the album. Slower-paced yes, and very much a template for the Countdown to Extinction style. Very melodic, and very catchy. Megadeth wasn't just doing hardcore metal better than everyone else, they were even doing the poppier metal than everyone else (That sentence will continue to be true for the entire 90s decade). Also the ending breakdown is ear sex.
Then we have "Tornado of Souls". Like I need to even dig into it, the best song on the album that it is. From the epic Power Metal-esque intro to the catchy as flying f*ck chorus to the riff that never leaves your brain, to the MOTHERF*CKING SOLO. By God this really is the moment Friedman became a living legend. Again, the Gothenburg Melodeath seeds are being planted right here with these melodies. It's just so good. One of the greatest guitar solos ever made and one that never leaves you. It's so good I've rambled on about it over the entirety of "Dawn Patrol", the best song on the album, playing in the background. This song NEEDED to be here. It gives you a much-needed reprieve after Tornado before the next song. It's also still surprisingly good despite it's simplicity due to its atmosphere. Then... "Rust In Peace... Polaris" hits like a truck. This song is absolutely flawless. There's the first chunk, a technical groovy catchy metal song with lyrics evoking epic images of nuclear destruction. It also has some of Dave's best deliveries and most iconic lines. Specifically the first parts of each verse. And then, just when you think it's over, it calls back to the fast-paced songs with the second chunk. The album couldn't end without one more crazy riff and drum section. It is the best ending the album could ask for. After all, what better way to end the album than with the best song on the album.
Ranking:
Have you not been listening? They're ALL the best song on the album. Choosing favorite songs on this album is more unfair than choosing favorite children.
Production
Easiest one yet to talk about here. OG mix 100% is perfect. It's organic, crunchy, dynamic, and so good. The 2004 mix on the other hand is overly mechanical, homogenized, compressed, tinny, and worst of all, he re-recorded some of his vocals. I'm sorry, but messing with this album just didn't need to happen. It doesn't even need a remaster, why bother with a remix?
Conclusion
Do I even need to do this part? It's RUST IN PEACE. There is a reason that among metalheads this album is revered in a way potentially only shared by Leprosy and In The Nightside Eclipse and Somewhere In Time. It is, simply put, a masterpiece. It is nine perfect songs, strung together with perfect pacing, with a perfect execution of every concept. I cannot find any flaws with it. Rust In Peace is the best Thrash Metal album, potentially the best Metal album period, OF ALL TIME. And you might say "wow, I thought these reviews were supposed to be objective". But that's the thing, I AM being objective. Rust In Peace is the single greatest Thrash Metal record of all time. I always try to find flaws, even in things I love. But here? I look. And I look. And I look. And I haven't found it. There is no flaw with this record. If there ever was a perfect Metal album? Rust In Peace is it.
I award Rust In Peace with the highest of honors. A 10/10. And not even a soft 10/10 out of respect like Waking The Fallen. No, a blatant, strong, immovable 10/10.
NEXT TIME, I will do Countdown To Extinction. And by god I will get to it faster than this. I promised I'd have these all out by the end of 2020. Three reviews left. I think I can do it.
Comments
Post a Comment